From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ssh connections time out
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 18:35:33
1 Thank you all for your replies,
2
3 On Tuesday 27 November 2007, Chris Frederick wrote:
4 > Dale wrote:
5
6 > > I also ran into something like this on a local network. I corrected
7 > > this by adding the remote systems to my hosts file and putting the entry
8 > > in the host file on the remote system.
9 [ship...]
10
11 > I've had this problem as well. I've added "UseDNS no" to the
12 > sshd_config file and that had the same result. I usually only had high
13 > latency establishing the connection though. Once the connection was
14 > established and I was logged in, everything was fast again.
15
16 The problem is not with the DNS servers. I use IP addresses to access these
17 machines and when I have tried FQDNs it makes no odds.
18
19 > I've also had connection issues while transferring files through ssh,
20 > and I got around that (somewhat) by added "-l" to the scp command. This
21 > tries to throttle the connection speed, and I can usually keep a
22 > connection going with that. I say that is somewhat fixed the issue
23 > because I also need to use ssh to port forward to an internal database
24 > and run scripts there, but there's no way that I know to do the same
25 > throttling with a port forwarding ssh command.
26
27 The -l option is to apply a protocol specific type of QoS and limit the
28 bandwidth consumed by scp so that other critical services on the server don't
29 run dry. My problem is that I do not seem to have enough bandwidth to start
30 with.
31
32 The ports of the servers are random numbers in the 200+ and 12000+ range and I
33 have checked that no other applications are using/listening on these ports.
34 I've not tried port 22 yet, but I'll give it a go tonight. I tend to use
35 higher random ports just to achieve some basic 'security by obscurity' from
36 script kiddies and botnets. The issue with port 22 is that the
37 world-and-his-wife will try to hack in and cause DoS to the little bandwidth
38 that seems to be available. :p Ha! I'll deal with this at the firewall.
39
40 The datacenter servers are listening on port 22. This difference in
41 performance between the production and the domestic servers also made me
42 think that there may well be some traffic shaping by the ISPs at their
43 routers, but don't know if I can test this for definite somehow.
44
45 I don't think that setting up QoS at the domestic servers is going to make any
46 difference. These machines are not stressed at all and off peak I can access
47 them fine. It is at peak times that things really go pear shape, hence it
48 should be a network congestion/traffic shaping issue. I don't know if people
49 started going mad at the pre-Christmas online shopping and things have been
50 particularly bad since last Saturday, or if it is just some ISP network
51 maintenance that made my connections impossible.
52
53 More about my trials and tribulations on port 22 tomorrow . . .
54 --
55 Regards,
56 Mick