From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [O/T] RAID help - now won't boot
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 05:34:15
1 On Sunday 20 Oct 2013 15:31:12 joost@××××××××.org wrote:
2
3 > I would suggest trying it by usong the older metadata format.
4 > Check the man pages, but I thinl it would be --metadata=0.90 (or similar)
5 > during creation. That might put the metadata at the end, rather then at
6 > the front. (Or it's the other way round and new metadata does it at the
7 > end.)
8 >
9 > --
10 > Joost
11 > Ps. I have never tried it this way (full disk raid for boot device) using
12 > linux software raid.
13
14 Ha! Yes, this made a difference, thanks! With metadata 0.90 I can see the
15 same partitions I set up on /dev/md0, also on /dev/sda and /dev/sdb. The only
16 problem now is that the Ubuntu server CD wants to format /dev/sda2 as swap and
17 fails at that stage. :-/
18
19 Not sure how to by-pass this.
20
21 I may also try metadata=1.0 to see if this makes a difference, which also
22 positions the RAID data superblock at the end of the device:
23
24 Sub-Version Superblock Position on Device
26 0.9 At the end of the device
27 1.0 At the end of the device
28 1.1 At the beginning of the device
29 1.2 4K from the beginning of the device
32 Regards,
33 Mick