From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [O/T] RAID help - now won't boot
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 06:00:03
1 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >On Sunday 20 Oct 2013 15:31:12 joost@××××××××.org wrote:
3 >
4 >> I would suggest trying it by usong the older metadata format.
5 >> Check the man pages, but I thinl it would be --metadata=0.90 (or
6 >similar)
7 >> during creation. That might put the metadata at the end, rather then
8 >at
9 >> the front. (Or it's the other way round and new metadata does it at
10 >the
11 >> end.)
12 >>
13 >> --
14 >> Joost
15 >> Ps. I have never tried it this way (full disk raid for boot device)
16 >using
17 >> linux software raid.
18 >
19 >Ha! Yes, this made a difference, thanks! With metadata 0.90 I can see
20 >the
21 >same partitions I set up on /dev/md0, also on /dev/sda and /dev/sdb.
22 >The only
23 >problem now is that the Ubuntu server CD wants to format /dev/sda2 as
24 >swap and
25 >fails at that stage. :-/
26 >
27 >Not sure how to by-pass this.
28 >
29 >I may also try metadata=1.0 to see if this makes a difference, which
30 >also
31 >positions the RAID data superblock at the end of the device:
32 >
33 >Sub-Version Superblock Position on Device
34 >----------- -----------------------------
35 >0.9 At the end of the device
36 >1.0 At the end of the device
37 >1.1 At the beginning of the device
38 >1.2 4K from the beginning of the device
39 >
40 >--
41 >Regards,
42 >Mick
43
44 To bypass the swap format you could try either deselecting the format option (if it exists) or setting the partition type to something else.
45 The partition type can be set back to swap later from a livecd without having to reinstall.
46
47 Other option:
48 1 install to single disk
49
50 2 using sysresccd create a degraded raid1 using the 2nd drive
51
52 3 copy the partitions and date from drive 1 to the degraded raid device
53
54 4 add disk 1 to the raid
55
56 5 wait for the raid device is synchronized
57
58 6 change fstab and grub config to reflect the new disklayout
61 Joost
62 --
63 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.