From: Nicolas Sebrecht <nsebrecht@×××××.fr>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Nicolas Sebrecht <nsebrecht@×××××.fr>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [O/T] RAID help - now won't boot
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 08:24:32
1 The 21/10/13, J. Roeleveld wrote:
2
3 > Ha! Yes, this made a difference, thanks! With metadata 0.90 I can see the
4 > same partitions I set up on /dev/md0, also on /dev/sda and /dev/sdb.
5
6 Sorry to come back late in this thread. As other contributors pointed
7 out correctly, the problem was RAID metadata at the beginning.
8
9 > The only
10 > problem now is that the Ubuntu server CD wants to format /dev/sda2 as swap and
11 > fails at that stage. :-/
12 >
13 > Not sure how to by-pass this.
14
15 Yes. Most of the installers suck at that game. What I would do (already
16 done this way) is:
17 - install the disks in another machine with virtualization capacity;
18 - create the RAID 1 (metadata=0.90);
19 - create a virtual machine with the built RAID as single disk;
20 - boot on the CD to install any distro;
21 - move the disk out to the target bare metal machine;
22 - update fstab and grub if needed.
23
24 This has the advantage to not require to bypass the installer at some
25 stage at the price of a temporary installation of the disks somewhere
26 else.
27
28 > I may
29 > also try metadata=1.0 to see if this makes a difference, which also
30 > positions the RAID data superblock at the end of the device:
31 >
32 > Sub-Version Superblock Position on Device
33 > ----------- -----------------------------
34 > 0.9 At the end of the device
35 > 1.0 At the end of the device
36 > 1.1 At the beginning of the device
37 > 1.2 4K from the beginning of the device
38 >
39 > To bypass the swap format you could try either deselecting the format
40 > option (if it exists) or setting the partition type to something else.
41 > The partition type can be set back to swap later from a livecd without
42 > having to reinstall.
43 >
44 > Other option:
45 > 1 install to single disk
46 >
47 > 2 using sysresccd create a degraded raid1 using the 2nd drive
48 >
49 > 3 copy the partitions and date from drive 1 to the degraded raid device
50
51 What is "copy the date"?
52
53 > 4 add disk 1 to the raid
54
55 I might miss something but I guess you're going to erase the installed
56 system (on disk 1) from the unused disk (disk 2), here.
57
58 I believe it would only be possible by installing the system on the
59 degraded RAID, which will likely mean coming back to the original swap
60 problem.
61
62 > 5 wait for the raid device is synchronized
63 >
64 > 6 change fstab and grub config to reflect the new disklayout
67 Nicolas Sebrecht