From: Colleen Beamer <colleen.beamer@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] OT - ImageMagick Strange Behaviour
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 03:05:46
1 Hello All,
2
3 I wanted to edit a graphic today using ImageMagick. I haven't used
4 ImageMagick in a while and recently, I did a bunch of mucking around
5 with my system (upgrade to KDE 3.5 where kaudiocreator started
6 exhibiting weird behaviour, then downgrade to KDE 3.4.3 and in the
7 course of this, I removed anything that had been installed in a new
8 slot, but I suffered no repercussions afterwards).
9
10 When I right-clicked on the graphic that I wanted to edit and chose
11 "open with" and display, ImageMagick didn't launch, but the
12 configuration screen for KRandRTray (the KDE screen resize and rotate
13 utility). When I noticed this, I thought that maybe it was my mistake,
14 so I unmerged ImageMagick. After doing this, I checked /usr/bin and no
15 executable named "display" existed. When I emerged ImageMagick again,
16 the display executable was back in /usr/bin and exhibited the same
17 behaviour as explained above when I tried to launch ImageMagick to edit
18 the graphic. This occurrence was on my desktop.
19
20 Over the past couple of days, I have been updating my laptop. Since I
21 didn't want any slotted occurrences of packages, I removed all packages
22 that would have resulted in new slots being created - xorg-x11,
23 kde-meta, etc. Then I emerged them again. Everything seems fine.
24 However, as I was keeping tabs on the progress of the 272 package
25 install of kde-meta, I noticed a couple of lines during different
26 compiles that said something to the effect "seems to have been relocated".
27
28 So, I'm wondering has anyone noticed the behaviour described above with
29 ImageMagick and could there have been a problem with the header used to
30 compile the program. (Don't laugh, I'm not a programmer, but am taking
31 a stab! :-) )
32
33 Regards,
34