From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to compress lots of tarballs
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 13:02:58
1 On Tuesday, 28 September 2021 12:38:42 BST Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > You keep mentioning USB3, but I think the main factor here is that the
4 > external drive is probably a spinning hard drive (I don't think you
5 > explicitly mentioned this but it seems likely esp with the volume of
6 > data). That math works out to 78MB/s. Hard drive transfer speeds
7 > depend on the drive itself and especially whether there is more than
8 > one IO task to be performed, so I can't be entirely sure, but I'm
9 > guessing that the USB3 interface itself is having almost no adverse
10 > impact on the transfer rate.
11
12 I'm sure you're right Rich, and yes, this is 2.5" drive. I'm seeing about
13 110MB/s reading from USB feeding into zstd.
14
15 > The main thing to avoid is doing other sustained read/writes from the
16 > drive at the same time.
17
18 Quite so.
19
20 > It looks like you ended up doing the bulk of the compression on an
21 > SSD, and obviously those don't care nearly as much about IOPS.
22
23 Yes, input from USB and output to SSD.
24
25 > I've been playing around with lizardfs for bulk storage and found that
26 > USB3 hard drives actually work very well, as long as you're mindful
27 > about what physical ports are on what USB hosts and so on. A USB3
28 > host can basically handle two hard drives with no loss of performance.
29 > I'm not dealing with a ton of IO though so I can probably stack more
30 > drives with pretty minimal impact unless there is a rebuild (in which
31 > case the gigabit ethernet is probably still the larger bottleneck).
32 > Even a Raspberry Pi 4 has two USB3 hosts, which means you could stack
33 > 4 hard drives on one and get basically the same performance as SATA.
34 > When you couple that with the tendency of manufacturers to charge less
35 > for USB3 drives than SATA drives of the same performance it just
36 > becomes a much simpler solution than messing with HBAs and so on and
37 > limiting yourself to hardware that can actually work with an HBA.
40 Regards,
41 Peter.