From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to compress lots of tarballs
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 11:38:59
1 On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 9:30 AM Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > Thanks to all who've helped. I can't avoid feeling, though, that the main
4 > bottleneck has been missed: that I have to read and write on a USB-3 drive.
5 > It's just taken 23 minutes to copy the current system backup from USB-3 to
6 > SATA SSD: 108GB in 8 .tar files.
7
8 You keep mentioning USB3, but I think the main factor here is that the
9 external drive is probably a spinning hard drive (I don't think you
10 explicitly mentioned this but it seems likely esp with the volume of
11 data). That math works out to 78MB/s. Hard drive transfer speeds
12 depend on the drive itself and especially whether there is more than
13 one IO task to be performed, so I can't be entirely sure, but I'm
14 guessing that the USB3 interface itself is having almost no adverse
15 impact on the transfer rate.
16
17 The main thing to avoid is doing other sustained read/writes from the
18 drive at the same time.
19
20 It looks like you ended up doing the bulk of the compression on an
21 SSD, and obviously those don't care nearly as much about IOPS.
22
23 I've been playing around with lizardfs for bulk storage and found that
24 USB3 hard drives actually work very well, as long as you're mindful
25 about what physical ports are on what USB hosts and so on. A USB3
26 host can basically handle two hard drives with no loss of performance.
27 I'm not dealing with a ton of IO though so I can probably stack more
28 drives with pretty minimal impact unless there is a rebuild (in which
29 case the gigabit ethernet is probably still the larger bottleneck).
30 Even a Raspberry Pi 4 has two USB3 hosts, which means you could stack
31 4 hard drives on one and get basically the same performance as SATA.
32 When you couple that with the tendency of manufacturers to charge less
33 for USB3 drives than SATA drives of the same performance it just
34 becomes a much simpler solution than messing with HBAs and so on and
35 limiting yourself to hardware that can actually work with an HBA.
38 Rich