From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to compress lots of tarballs
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 13:30:46
1 On Monday, 27 September 2021 02:39:19 BST Adam Carter wrote:
2 > On Sun, Sep 26, 2021 at 8:57 PM Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
3 >
4 > wrote:
5 > > Hello list,
6 > >
7 > > I have an external USB-3 drive with various system backups. There are 350
8 > > .tar files (not .tar.gz etc.), amounting to 2.5TB. I was sure I wouldn't
9 > > need to compress them, so I didn't, but now I think I'm going to have to.
10 > > Is there a reasonably efficient way to do this?
11 >
12 > find <mountpoint> -name \*tar -exec zstd -TN {} \;
13 >
14 > Where N is the number of cores you want to allocate. zstd -T0 (or just
15 > zstdmt) if you want to use all the available cores. I use zstd for
16 > everything now as it's as good as or better than all the others in the
17 > general case.
18 >
19 > Parallel means it uses more than one core, so on a modern machine it is
20 > much faster.
21
22 Thanks to all who've helped. I can't avoid feeling, though, that the main
23 bottleneck has been missed: that I have to read and write on a USB-3 drive.
24 It's just taken 23 minutes to copy the current system backup from USB-3 to
25 SATA SSD: 108GB in 8 .tar files.
26
27 Perhaps I have things out of proportion.
30 Regards,
31 Peter.