From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Online hosting recommendation - VMs?
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 06:09:58
1 > On 29 Mar 2017, at 06:43, Arthur Țițeică <arthur@×××××××××××××.ro> wrote:
2 >>
3 >> €5 a month seems an ideal price, but I can probably afford a little
4 >> more.
5 >
6 > Dedibox/Online has real hardware (dedicated servers) for 15 or 30€ on the personal range. The more expensive one has 2 SSDs for software raid 6 cores Xeon and 32gb memory.
7
8 Not sure why I'd need a dedicated hardware.
9
10 I think I'd probably rather have two VMs at €5 or €10 each a month, than one high-powered machine at the same price.
11
12 It would be handy to have another shell I can run back up to, run unattended downloads on and so forth when I'm on a flakey connection (and then pop the download into my Google Drive).
13
14 PS: can anyone explain how the Amazon web services work, please? I have the impression they're charged by usage and can be very cheap. But it's not clear to me if you can use AWS just like a regular Linux cloud server.