From: Timo Briddigkeit <lists@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Google privacy changes
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 12:39:05
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 01/26/2012 08:16 AM, Dale wrote:
5 > Hi list,
6 >
7 > I ran across this news item about Google:
8 >
9 > http://alturl.com/s7xi5
10 >
11 > The long URL is below. I'm sort of getting to where I don't like
12 > Google since they seem to be doing things that I'm just not comfy
13 > with. Next they will want a camera on my rig so they can watch me
14 > surf. I found a search engine that may work. It is here:
15 >
16 > www.ixquick.com
17 >
18 > Does anyone have a better search tool? I don't like Yahoo either.
19 > I do like froogle so that would be a bonus. You know, shopping
20 > tool.
21 >
22 > Now to my next issue. I'm thinking about switching emails too.
23 > Yea, everyone on here knows my addy but I bet most can recognize my
24 > posts anyway. Plus, if the init thingy goes south, well, it
25 > happens. Anyway, what is a nice stable email account server that
26 > allows pop access, Seamonkey as the email program, that is not
27 > tracking everything or nosey as heck? Free would be nice but I
28 > would pay something inexpensive on a yearly basis if it is really
29 > good. I think Yahoo has this but ain't they sort of like Google
30 > already? Plus, I'm not sure how much longer Yahoo is going to last
31 > or make similar changes itself. I'm sort of getting tired of
32 > switching emails every time I switch ISPs or there is a policy
33 > change. That is why I switched to gmail in the first place. No
34 > matter what ISP I use, I can still use Gmail. Yet, here I am
35 > again.
36 >
37 > Thoughts? Suggestions?
38 >
39 > Dale
40 >
41 > :-) :-)
42 >
43 > Long URL just in case the shorty above doesn't work. It may be
44 > broken tho. Copy and paste alert.
45 >
46 > http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/google-tracks-consumers-across-products-users-cant-opt-out/2012/01/24/gIQArgJHOQ_story.html?wpisrc=al_comboNE_b
49 Hi Dale,
50
51 I used ixquick for a while, but then I switched to www.ecosia.org and
52 I think you could like it.
53
54 Timo
55
56 - --
57 PGP-Key: 0x1629EE0B (http://xenolabs.net/pubkey.asc)
58 Key fingerprint: AC8D 516C 3DF3 9978 4F5D A3DE 5279 72DD 1629 EE0B
59