From: Ben Kelly <bkelly@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Suspend questions
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 02:52:56
1 Steve Dommett wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 03 October 2007, James Colby wrote:
3 >> The reason for that is because the suspend kernel is
4 >> configuring my hard disk as /dev/hda and my standard kernel is configuring
5 >> it as /dev/sda. Does anyone know how I can get the suspend kernel to
6 >> assign my hard disk as /dev/sda?
7 >
8 > I think eventually you would have run into this problem even if you hadn't
9 > switched to using suspend2-sources. Recent changes in the kernel (at 2.6.21
10 > unless my memory fails me) removed the need for most SATA drivers to use the
11 > SCSI layer of the kernel. The result being that many hard drives that were
12 > previously addressed as /dev/sda will now be available at /dev/hda.
13 >
14 > You'll need to change at least /boot/grub/grub.conf and /etc/fstab to reflect
15 > this . Yes, it's a pest because it complicates booting into older kernels.
16 > You may not know that GRUB supports editing the boot parameters with the 'E'
17 > key, which goes a long way towards easing the pains.
18
19 I think its preferable to get the SATA driver to handle the device if
20 you can. I know on my machine disk performance dropped quite a bit when
21 it was probed as hda by the ATA driver.
22 --
23 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list