From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [SOLVED] Re: [gentoo-user] Is there a way to misconfigure USB ports in the kernel?
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 15:29:14
1 On 29/07/21 10:28, Dr Rainer Woitok wrote:
2 > I just directly formatted one of my two Philips 128G USB 3.0 sticks with
3 > "mkntfs" and the write performance without VeraCrypt did not improve.
4 > Further searching the web I found that vendors were rarely specifying
5 > the writing speeds of their USB sticks at all, and if they did, there
6 > was a tendency to exaggerate. See for instance
7
8 Could this be the 512B / 4K sector size problem?
9
10 If performance is horrible, it could well be a stick / partition
11 mismatch. I never investigated, but if the stick is faking a 512B sector
12 size, so the partition is using 4K blocks aligned on sector 1, it will
13 kill write speed, and in time will kill the stick, too!
14
15 Cheers,
16 Wol