From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSD performance tweaking
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 18:59:46
1 On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 8:55 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 3:58 PM, Paul Hartman
3 > <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > <SNIP>
5 >>
6 >> I think the only way we'lll see 500MB/sec on that SSD is to buy a
7 >> motherboard which has a SATA3 controller as its primary on-board drive
8 >> controller and plug it in to that.
9 >>
10 >> Look on the bright side, someday when we upgrade our motherboards,
11 >> it'll be like we got a free SSD upgrade for our troubles. :)
14 > Support for your POV Paul:
15 >
16 > http://techgage.com/article/battle_of_the_sata_30_controllers/
17 >
18 > My controller is also a Marvell and the machine is X58-based so
19 > results are likely to be similar.
20 >
21 > I'm likely fighting a losing battle here, but I'll keep fighting for
22 > awhile longer...
23 >
24 > Cheers,
25 > Mark
26
27 One additional thought:
28
29 This limitation is likely just a byproduct of using a 1 lane
30 controller. If one was willing to spend a (fairly large) bit more one
31 could get a 16 lane SATA3 controller and would likely do much better
32 in terms of throughput...