From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Eth0 interface not found - udev that little slut!!!!!
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2013 17:10:41
1 'Evening, Alan.
2
3 On Sat, Apr 06, 2013 at 06:36:07PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 > On 06/04/2013 17:57, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
5 > >> Please excuse me, I am running back and forth from the servers and
6 > >> > typing the error message here. Did our configuration get switched to
7 > >> > IP6? These are our DB servers and why me!!! Why ME!!!!!
8 > > No, it's not just you, it's happened to pretty much everybody. udev-200
9 > > now renames eth0, eth1, ....
10
11 > Please please PLEASE, for the love of god joseph mary and every other
12 > $DEITY on the planet
13
14 > STOP SPREADING THIS FUD
15
16 > It did not happen to pretty much everybody. It happened to people who
17 > blindly updated thignsd and walked away, who did not read the news
18 > announcement, who did not read the CLEARLY WORDED wiki article at
19 > freedesktop.org or alternatively went into mod-induced panic and started
20 > making shit up in their heads.
21
22 Steady on, old chap! By "it" I was meaning the general inconvenience
23 all round occasioned by the changes between udev-{197,200}. Not
24 everybody encountered this. For example Dale, and Walt D. didn't have
25 to do anything. But pretty much everybody else did.
26
27 I was just trying to help Nick get his servers back up asap. I should
28 imagine having down servers is even more nerve wracking than down
29 desktops. (Down pillows are OK, though ;-).
30
31 I've now got p6p1 instead of eth0. It's irritating, but not irritating
32 enough for me to be bothered to do anything about it.
33
34 > --
35 > Alan McKinnon
36 > alan.mckinnon@×××××.com