From: Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Eth0 interface not found - udev that little slut!!!!!
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2013 17:52:37
1 On 06-Apr-13 19:10, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2 >
3 >> STOP SPREADING THIS FUD
4 >
5 >> It did not happen to pretty much everybody. It happened to people who
6 >> blindly updated thignsd and walked away, who did not read the news
7 >> announcement, who did not read the CLEARLY WORDED wiki article at
8 >> freedesktop.org or alternatively went into mod-induced panic and started
9 >> making shit up in their heads.
10 >
11 > Steady on, old chap! By "it" I was meaning the general inconvenience
12 > all round occasioned by the changes between udev-{197,200}. Not
13 > everybody encountered this. For example Dale, and Walt D. didn't have
14 > to do anything. But pretty much everybody else did.
15
16 The problem is, news item is not correct! I followed it
17 and yet finished with server having old network name (eth0).
18 Problem was the point 4. in news item, which is not quite clear:
19
20 -----
21 4. predictable network interface names:
22 If /etc/udev/rules.d/80-net-name-slot.rules is an empty file
23 or a symlink to /dev/null, the new names will be disabled and
24 the kernel will do all the interface naming...
25 -----
26
27 Well, in my case 80-net-names-slot.rules was neither empty,
28 nor symlink to dev null, but FULL OF COMMENTS AND NOTING ELSE,
29 which basically did the same thing as empty file: disabled
30 new network names. Unfortunatelly, I found it just after
31 screwed reboot. But I did everything I found in news item:
32 checked and verified that file was not symlink to /dev/null
33 and that it was not empty (1667 bytes does not seem to me
34 to be empty file).
35
36 As I wrote previously, I am pretty sure I never created this
37 file manually so it must have been created by som previous
38 udev-version. So I finished up with similar problem as OP:
39 after rebooting I did not find interface I expected. The
40 only difference is I expected already interface with new
41 name, and OP is probably the old one...
42
43 So I must add my point to complaining about news item
44 not beeing quite clear. And this happens quite often...
45
46 Jarry
47 --
49 This mailbox accepts e-mails only from selected mailing-lists!
50 Everything else is considered to be spam and therefore deleted.