From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fwd: Post-Installation Problem
Date: Thu, 08 May 2014 21:55:15
1 On Thursday 08 May 2014 19:42:36 thegeezer wrote:
2 > On 05/08/2014 05:29 PM, Hunter Jozwiak wrote:
3 > > ---------- Forwarded message ----------
4 > > From: Hunter Jozwiak <hunter.t.joz@×××××.com>
5 > > Date: Thu, 8 May 2014 12:23:13 -0400
6 > > Subject: Post-Installation Problem
7 > > To: gentoo-users@l.g.o
8 > >
9 > > Hi all. I've been working on a Gentoo install for quite some time in
10 > > tech class, but I've hit a road block. I compiled a Genkernel, and
11 > > that went smooth. However, I tried to emerge espeakup, and I got
12 > > errors about how modules weren't enabled. I edited /etc/conf.d/modules
13 > >
14 > > and added two lines:
15 > > modules="CONFIG_SPEAKUP"
16 > > modules="CONFIG_SPEAKUP_SYNTH_SOFT"
17 > > And reemerged the espeakup software; same error message, and on
18 > > reboot, no software speech. Am I enabling the modules in an incorrect
19 > > manner? If so, how to I get them to work?
20 >
21 > what you need to do is
22 > # genkernel --menuconfig kernel
23 > then make sure that speakup is selected
24 >
25 > conf.d/modules is for kernel modules marked "m"
26 > mostly, these are loaded when needed by programs or drivers as required,
27 > but sometimes you want the module loaded in advance -- in that case you
28 > list them in conf.d/modules
29
30 To find what you have compiled as a loadable module (rather than built in the
31 kernel) have a look at this:
32
33 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=1&chap=7#doc_chap4
34
35 You can also select <help> when you are running --menuconfig, it usually shows
36 the correct syntax of the corresponding module name.
39 Regards,
40 Mick