From: thelma@×××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: losing network IP address
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2017 16:45:49
1 On 03/22/2017 01:59 AM, Kai Krakow wrote:
2 > Am Tue, 21 Mar 2017 16:48:05 -0600
3 > schrieb thelma@×××××××××××.com:
4 >
5 >>>> I could suspect the cable but I use two different cable in two
6 >>>> different location on same network and same thing happens.
7 >>>
8 >>> So actually you already ruled the cable out. Maybe the connector?
9 >>
10 >> Well, not likely the connector; as I use two different cables.
11 >> Restarting the net0 gave me incorrect IP. But I agree it might be the
12 >> connection. However, I connected another small box Atom to the same
13 >> cable and it obtained correct IP on first boot.
14 >
15 > By connector I meant the socket, not the jack...
16 >
17 > As far as I understand, everything points off the router but towards
18 > the one box you connect (while other boxes you connect do work). Even
19 > when you connect this box at a different location, you see the problem
20 > - and I expect a different router/DHCP server there.
21 >
22 > So for problem resolution, you probably don't have to look at the
23 > router, nor the cables, nor the switch. It's a problem with this box
24 > itself, either hardware problem or software configuration issue.
25 >
26 > Rule out the software issue by booting a rescue CD. See if the problem
27 > occurs there, too.
28
29 Now, I'm even more confused then before. It could be the router (Linksys
30 firewall dd-wrt) or the box.
31
32 In remote location I have Linksys (router) + few boxes all equipment
33 works OK and I never experience any problems except this "atom" box.
34
35 I connected again yesterday the atom in a remote network and couldn't
36 get the correct IP. So to test it with Windows10 laptop to the same
37 cable and I got correct IP. So this would eliminate the router or
38 switches.
39
40 However, when I brought this box "atom" home. I have two networks:
41 10.0.0.1 and 10.10.0.1 both firewall running dhcpd are Asus-RT-N16
42 units running same DD-WRT
43 When I connect the "atom" box to my home network the "atom" box can
44 obtain the correct IP from both routers, I don't even have to restart
45 the network interface, just switching the cable from one router to
46 another and the network interface is switching IP on the fly.
47
48 So, now I'm perplex as to what is causing the problem.
49 On the weekend I'll take and replace Linksys (in remote location) with
50 one of my firewall from home Asus-RT-N16.
53 Thelma