From: Simon <turner25@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Binary package cruncher?
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 20:03:59
1 > Another possibility is to use distcc. I haven't used it recently, but an
2 > earlier version seemed ok.
3
4 Distcc is used to speed compilation time. But the point is that even if I set
5 distcc hosts to not be on the localhost (ie, just compile remotely and only use
6 localhost to manage the whole thing)... it still takes way too long. Plus,
7 many packages don't compile with distcc, will compile localhost only. Plus,
8 many parts of the emerge are not distributed, like ./configure, etc...
9
10 I mean, installing a binpkg is already slow on my PCs, imagine the compilation
11 (yea, i am very patient). That's why I purchased the VPS to compile and make
12 binpkg... One day I might purchase a second VPS and set distcc between the two
13 (a binpkg farm?)... but until then distcc is really near useless in my setup.
14 Only exception to what I just said is with the kernel, which I always compile
15 with distcc.
16
17 Thanks,
18 Simon