From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Binary package cruncher?
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 11:16:56
1 On Sunday 16 November 2008 10:05:53 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Saturday 15 November 2008 19:40:50 Simon wrote:
3 > >    This is not super efficient, but the way I've thought it, should be
4 > > simple to do... a simple gentoo hack so to speak.  However, I'm
5 > > wondering if anybody has suggestion for better ways to do this and if
6 > > you could give me pointers to such projects.  Also keep in mind that I
7 > > really really want to update ALL my PCs with a single `emerge -uDN
8 > > world` on the host, then copy new pkgs (using rsync or other) to the
9 > > PCs and do an `emerge -k -uDN world` on them.  Nothing more.  (So
10 > > unless your suggestion is simpler than my current (fully installed)
11 > > setup, please tell me!)
12 >
13 > I would build all that stuff in a chroot. The logic is that the your
14 > buildhost system is not quite the same thing as the machine hosting the
15 > buildhost.
16 >
17 > One thing you cannot get away from is that to build say X for your slow
18 > hardware, it has to be done on a machine that has all X's build
19 > dependencies fully installed and working. You might not want that on your
20 > production server. Some fancy tricks with bind-mounts into the chroot
21 > would let you share common stuff. Or, you could simply buy a bit more
22 > storage if you are running out. It's cheap enough and if you've gone to
23 > this much trouble already, some more storage would be minor
24
25 Another possibility is to use distcc. I haven't used it recently, but an
26 earlier version seemed ok.
29 Rgds
30 Peter