From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Binary package cruncher?
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 10:06:02
1 On Saturday 15 November 2008 19:40:50 Simon wrote:
2 >    This is not super efficient, but the way I've thought it, should be
3 > simple to do... a simple gentoo hack so to speak.  However, I'm wondering
4 > if anybody has suggestion for better ways to do this and if you could give
5 > me pointers to such projects.  Also keep in mind that I really really want
6 > to update ALL my PCs with a single `emerge -uDN world` on the host, then
7 > copy new pkgs (using rsync or other) to the PCs and do an `emerge -k -uDN
8 > world` on them.  Nothing more.  (So unless your suggestion is simpler than
9 > my current (fully installed) setup, please tell me!)
10
11 I would build all that stuff in a chroot. The logic is that the your buildhost
12 system is not quite the same thing as the machine hosting the buildhost.
13
14 One thing you cannot get away from is that to build say X for your slow
15 hardware, it has to be done on a machine that has all X's build dependencies
16 fully installed and working. You might not want that on your production
17 server. Some fancy tricks with bind-mounts into the chroot would let you
18 share common stuff. Or, you could simply buy a bit more storage if you are
19 running out. It's cheap enough and if you've gone to this much trouble
20 already, some more storage would be minor
23 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com