From: reader@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Span data DVD
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 17:07:17
1 Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de> writes:
2
3 > In order to give a more specific advice, please tell us about the kind
4 > of data you want to put on that DVD. I remember that there were tools
5 > that calculate an optimum distribution of files of different sizes so
6 > that a given amount of media space is optimally used. Probably
7 > something in Perl, but unfortunately I don't remember...
8
9 The data in this case consistes of thousands of photos in various
10 formats in a structured directory system.
11
12 It would be good not to split a single top level directory across 2
13 DVD. In fact I guess that would be nearly a requirement else one
14 might have to mount more than one DVD to view a single directory and
15 would never know which ones.
16
17 So sonething smart enough to judge the sizes of dierctories and put
18 only as much as the DVD will hold but not splitting a directlry.
22 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list