From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Winbind...
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 13:44:12
1 On 27 Jul 2007, at 09:12, Anders Trobäck wrote:
2 > ...
3 > I'm trying to set up winbind on a Gentoo box but I can't get it to
4 > work!
5 >
6 > I have joined the domain and I have added winbind
7 > to /etc/nsswitch.conf. "wbinfo -u" and "wbinfo -g" are working but
8 > "getent passwd" and "getent group" only list the local accounts and
9 > groups!
10 >
11 > I have not done anything with my PAM files yet but I think this
12 > step should work anyway!(?)
13
14 I have found `getent passwd` and `getent group` not to work entirely
15 as expected.
16
17 EG:
18 $ getent group | grep -i dave
19 domain users:x:
20 10000:administrator,support_399845a0,krbtgt,iusr_bodmin,iwam_bodmin,mobi
21 le user tmpl,user tmpl,power user tmpl,administrator tmpl,sbs backup
22 user,ned,usertemplate-
23 lanesre,evelyn,tim,charlotte,dave,mandi,kim,vebra,deanne,alex,laura,anne
24 ,anne.h,gillian,maintenance,gail
25 $ getent passwd | grep -i dave
26 $
27
28 This is on a mail server which has been running perfectly on the
29 Windows domain for 18 months. Users are added on the Windows 2003
30 server & can then get their mail from the mailserver running on the
31 above Linux host. It seems necessary to restart Samba on the Linux
32 box after adding a user on the Windows server, but I can assure you
33 that Dave has been getting his mail quite happily ever since the
34 system was set up.
35
36 My advice is to move on to the next step (PAM) & see what happens. I
37 have always worked off the "Testing Things Out" section of Chapter 24
38 of the Samba manual, "Winbind: Use of Domain Accounts" <http://
39 www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/winbind.html> and
40 have always found following it to work perfectly, but winbind doesn't
41 seem well-documented elsewhere or by 3rd parties.
42
43 Stroller.--
44 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list