From: Willie WY Wong <wongwwy@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: dog - man's best friend.
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 23:37:11
1 On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 06:24:29PM -0500, Penguin Lover Harry Putnam squawked:
2 > > On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 08:42:00PM +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
3 > >
4 > >> (a) using less, and have it take just 10 screen lines; (b) using cat etc.,
5 > >> and have the interesting part scroll away.
6 > >
7 > > (c) use less -F and less will automatically exit if the entire file can fit
8 > > on one screen. One can export LESS='-F' to have less always do the above.
9 >
10 > Maybe I'm seeing behavior that is not supposed to happen, but if I say
11 > echo '## ONE LINE' > test
12 >
13 > And then say less -F test
14 >
15 > I do not get to see the one line. I don't think that's what Alan
16 > was looking for is it?
17
18 That is not supposed to happen. Is that in a X terminal or on the text
19 console?
20
21 If you `less test` and quit, does the content of the test file stay on
22 screen or does it get cleared (I bet the former)? Try `less -XF test`
23 in that case, and see if it helps.
24
25 W
26 --
27 Data aequatione quotcunque fluentes quantitae involvente fluxiones invenire
28 et vice versa ~~~ I. Newton