From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Filesystem failure
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 09:52:05
1 On Thursday 22 March 2007 05:37, Willie Wong wrote:
2 > On Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 01:08:24AM -0400, Penguin Lover Willie Wong
3 squawked:
4 > > The root partition on my laptop just crapped out today. The kernel
5 > > logs report a problem with reiserfs. Reiserfsck suggests
6 > > --rebuild-tree, which AFAICT has a rather non-zero failure rate. So I
7 > > am getting myself mentally prepped for the perhaps necessary
8 > > re-install.
9
10 You may find that a --fix-fixable does the trick and you don't have to
11 re-install - this usually only works if you keep your fingers crossed at the
12 same time. ;-)
13
14 > > I would appreciate greatly if people can offer me some advice/caveats
15 > > of any sort with regards to my plan.
16 >
17 > Let me be slightly more concrete. I plan to:
18 >
19 > download a stage3 tar ball
20 > unroll the tar ball on my ex-root partition
21 > (follow the handbook)
22 > chroot
23 > emerge --sync
24 > copy over my /etc from my backups
25 > rebuild toolchain
26 > mount my /var partition
27 > emerge -e world
28 >
29 > Is there any obvious flaws in that?
30
31 The obvious flaw is that if the fs corruption is caused by hardware failure
32 you may be back to square one in the near future. OTH it may just be the
33 result of fs fragmentation because you keep your /usr/portage on the same
34 partition as /. I guess you can try moving your /usr into a new partition
35 and see how things evolve thereafter. Did I say make a back up?
36
37 Good luck.
38 --
39 Regards,