From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] vBulletin site causes Konqueror to hang
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 23:15:57
1 On Tuesday 02 March 2010 23:29:19 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > On Dienstag 02 März 2010, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > There's a vBulletin forum I frequent:
6 > >
7 > > http://forum.thinkbike.co.za
8 > >
9 > > and my usual browser is Konqueror (just because kparts makes it so
10 > > convenient). Every so often, with no pattern I can find, this site hangs
11 > > Konqueror - cpu goes to 100% and the browser stays unresponsive.
12 > >
13 > > I've tried various tricks to see what is going on when it does this,
14 > > including strace, to no avail. I have a hunch this started when I
15 > > installed konq- plugins, I have these enabled:
16 > >
17 > > Adblock
18 > > bookmarklets
19 > > Crashes Monitor
20 > > KTHML settings
21 > > Konqueror feed icon
22 > > Search bar
23 > > translate
24 > > User Agent Changer
25 > > Web Archiver
26 > >
27 > > My next step is to start the laborious process of disabling them one by
28 > > one to see if it makes a difference. Meanwhile, does anyone have
29 > > suggestions for clever trouble-shooting techniques to apply here?
30 > >
31 > > I doubt anyone will have a solution to hand, just some pointers to likely
32 > > things to check is all I'm after at this stage.
33 >
34 > without looking at that site - is there any flash stuff? What about
35 > javascript? nspluginviewer is still a bitch - and buggy js can cause a
36 > tremendous amount of cpu load.
37
38 No flash, but there is a usual amount of animated gifs and javascript. Nothing
39 over the top, just normal stuff for a forum. And this is the only forum of
40 many where this happens.
41
42 I've disabled js for the domain, I'll run it for a few days and see what
43 happens. I fear konqueror may go the way of amarok, and be replaced by rekong.
46 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com