From: wabe <wabenbau@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Different build options for specific packages
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2017 05:24:56
1 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Dale wrote:
4 > > Howdy,
5 > >
6 > > I read where someone did this but I can't find it now. I looked at
7 > > the wiki and did some startpage searches, no luck. Here goes:
8 > >
9 > > I generally let emerge build packages in parallel. This works
10 > > because a lot of packages are small and don't take long to build or
11 > > much room either. However, there are a few exceptions. For me,
12 > > Seamonkey, Firefox and Libreoffice cause issues. I would like
13 > > those to build one at a time instead of at the same time. I've had
14 > > times where all three have updates but having two of them at the
15 > > same time occurs pretty regular. I thought I recalled this needing
16 > > to be in package.env but my test didn't work. I put this in
17 > > package.env:
18 > >
19 > > www-client/seamonkey MAKEOPTS="-j1"
20 > > www-client/firefox MAKEOPTS="-j1"
21 > >
22 > > Since I'm here, you can guess that emerge didn't like that. So,
23 > > either I'm putting that in the wrong place, the wrong way or
24 > > something. Oh, I looked at the wiki and I didn't see things like
25 > > this. I just went with what little I recalled which seems to be
26 > > not correct.
27 > >
28 > > Can someone point me in the right direction here? Examples would be
29 > > nice because I may want to disable portage on tmpfs as well, for
30 > > Libreoffice at least.
31 > >
32 > > Thanks
33 > >
34 > > Dale
35 > >
36 > > :-) :-)
39 > I found another howto. That ended with this setup:
43 > root@fireball / # cat /etc/portage/package.env
44 > www-client/seamonkey ../env/single.conf
45 > www-client/firefox ../env/single.conf
48 > root@fireball / # cat /etc/portage/env/single.conf
49 > MAKEOPTS="-j1"
52 > root@fireball / #
55 > >From my reading, I put the setting in the env directory file and
56 > >the
57 > package names in package.env. Thing is, it still tries to build them
58 > both at the same time. Once I get these two to work, I'll add
59 > libreoffice to it.
60 >
61 > My first test gave a error message. I added the ../env/ part and it
62 > doesn't give a error but it doesn't recognize it either. I'm missing
63 > something. My eyes ain't real good today, allergies, so I may be not
64 > seeing something right.
65
66 I'm not sure that I understand what you mean. Are you talking about
67 emerging several packages at the same time and, if so, are you sure
68 that -j defines how many packages are build simultaneously?
69
70 I know that there exists a FEATURES option for make.conf called
71 "parallel-install". But I never used this feature or read something
72 about it, so all I know is that "-j" is an option for the "make"
73 command. It defines how many jobs are running simultaneously when
74 you compile a single program.
77 Regards
78 wabe