From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Decoding / encoding mp3 files
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 08:42:44
1 On Saturday 02 September 2006 04:54, kashani wrote:
2 > Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
3 > > On Saturday 02 September 2006 01:14, Arturo 'Buanzo' Busleiman wrote:
4 > >> Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
5 > >>> I hear the fine high pitch sound of TVs and I hear the fine high noise
6 > >>> of marten repellants. So yes, I have the ears of a dog.
7 > >>
8 > >> You are not alone boy! I used to get to my girlfriend's house, and
9 > >> although the TV was many rooms away I usually said "hey, you're watching
10 > >> tv. I got beer!" :)
11 > >
12 > > I have to admit, it got 'better' in the last couple of years - but as
13 > > child, I could not sleep when my parents watched TV. Not because of the
14 > > program - I did not hear the voices or music, but that sound.
15 > >
16 > > Thanks to the fact, that TV manufacturers like to buy the cheapest parts
17 > > they can get, all TVs make that noise, and I had lots and lots of
18 > > sleepless nights.
19 > >
20 > > Today it is just good enough for 'somebody is watching tv' when I visit
21 > > my family.
22 >
23 > Tends to go away as you get older and start experiencing high frequency
24 > hearing loss. The loss tends to be more extreme if you're male.
25 > Concerts, firearms, motor sports, and continuous droning like A/C
26 > systems without earplugs will hasten your loss as well. Being in my
27 > thirties and having abused my ears with all the above at points I hardly
28 > ever hear the "TV noise" these days.
29
30 I started losing the higher frequencies on my right ear when I was playing the
31 drums with a rock band in my early twenties. I had a large crash cymbal on
32 the right hand side of my set which would cause me physical pain every time I
33 used it. Stupidly enough I did not wear ear plugs. But that's nothing
34 really compared to when you get married: mysteriously you become profoundly
35 deaf to the frequencies of the female voice . . . :))
36 --
37 Regards,
38 Mick