From: Coert Waagmeester <lgroups@××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SOLVED gentoo-sources menuconfig feature/weirdness
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 11:18:44
1 On 02/23/2012 01:08 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 12:48:35 +0200
3 > Coert Waagmeester<lgroups@××××××××××××××.za> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On 02/23/2012 11:17 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
6 >>> On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 10:51:43 +0200, Coert Waagmeester wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>> The only thing I can currently think of is maybe the kernel config
9 >>>> files in /boot?
10 >>>
11 >>> I'd say it's more likely to be getting it from /proc/config.gz.
12 >>>
13 >>> But why start with a clean config each time? That means you have
14 >>> plenty of opportunities to produce a broken kernel on every update.
15 >>>
16 >>>
17 >>
18 >> Is there a way to import old config files with newer kernel sources?
19 >> I tried it once by simply copying .config into the newer src dir, but
20 >> I read somewhere that there could be incompatibilities.
23 > That is exactly how you do it. Copy a .config over and run make
24 > oldconfig
25
26 I am definitely going to try this.
27 >
28 > Yes, there could be incompatibilities. This might happen once every few
29 > years when you do an upgrade over 10 version numbers. But that can be
30 > fixed.
31 >
32 > Not doing it this way means a very high likelyhood of the machine not
33 > booting with every single upgrade, plus the huge amount of work it
34 > takes to go through everything in menuconfig.
35
36 indeed, especially when the server is stuck in a far away rack.
37 >
38 > The choices are simple,
39 >
40 > - low risk of occasional breakage