From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SOLVED gentoo-sources menuconfig feature/weirdness
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 14:06:24
1 On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 3:16 AM, Coert Waagmeester
2 <lgroups@××××××××××××××.za> wrote:
3 > On 02/23/2012 01:08 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 <SNIP>
5 >>>
6 >>> Is there a way to import old config files with newer kernel sources?
7 >>> I tried it once by simply copying .config into the newer src dir, but
8 >>> I read somewhere that there could be incompatibilities.
9 >>>
10 >>
11 >> That is exactly how you do it. Copy a .config over and run make
12 >> oldconfig
15 > I am definitely going to try this.
18 If I can offer one additional step then at the end also do a make
19 menuconfig even if you don't intend to change anything. The additional
20 menuconfig runs checks on the combination of options selected and not
21 selected and in some cases will pop up some messages about
22 incorrect/inconsistent settings. No messages means it's OK to do the
23 build, but if you get messages then it's best to take care of them
24 before building.
25
26 HTH,
27 Mark