From: Daniel Barkalow <barkalow@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: anti-portage wreckage?
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 20:34:14
1 On Wed, 3 Jan 2007, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, 3 Jan 2007 00:21:02 -0500 (EST), Daniel Barkalow wrote:
4 >
5 > > The issue is that etc-update doesn't have the version of the config
6 > > file as installed by the version of the package that's being replaced,
7 > > so it can't tell the difference between non-trivial changes to the
8 > > config file as shipped by gentoo between the old version and the new
9 > > version and non-trivial local modifications that I've made myself to a
10 > > config file which has not been changed between package versions. I've
11 > > definitely had etc-update ask for confirmation on files I'm sure I
12 > > didn't change
13 >
14 > I haven't use etc-update for a while, but dispatch-conf can do this.
15 >
16 > # Automerge files that the user hasn't modified
17 > # (yes or no)
18 > replace-unmodified=no
19 >
20 > Whether this is a good idea is a completely separate issue. If a service
21 > had a config file change between versions and the file was updated to the
22 > new format while the old daemon was still running, the results could be
23 > "interesting".
24
25 I actually wanted the opposite feature: have an extra confirmation
26 required for replacing a locally-modified file. And it shouldn't require
27 all of the extra bookkeeping of dispatch-conf to get this, although
28 dispatch-conf is clearly a lot closer.
29
30 -Daniel
31 *This .sig left intentionally blank*
32 --