From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: anti-portage wreckage?
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 09:07:00
1 On Wed, 3 Jan 2007 00:21:02 -0500 (EST), Daniel Barkalow wrote:
2
3 > The issue is that etc-update doesn't have the version of the config
4 > file as installed by the version of the package that's being replaced,
5 > so it can't tell the difference between non-trivial changes to the
6 > config file as shipped by gentoo between the old version and the new
7 > version and non-trivial local modifications that I've made myself to a
8 > config file which has not been changed between package versions. I've
9 > definitely had etc-update ask for confirmation on files I'm sure I
10 > didn't change
11
12 I haven't use etc-update for a while, but dispatch-conf can do this.
13
14 # Automerge files that the user hasn't modified
15 # (yes or no)
16 replace-unmodified=no
17
18 Whether this is a good idea is a completely separate issue. If a service
19 had a config file change between versions and the file was updated to the
20 new format while the old daemon was still running, the results could be
21 "interesting".
25 Neil Bothwick
26
27 Found my .sig, it was in behind the cushion on the settee.