From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Simplest NTP client for standalone system?
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2017 20:06:38
1 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 3:25 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >>> If there were some kind of trade-off I'd see the argument, but the
5 >>> worst case here is just that they may or may not need it. For
6 >>> something with some benefit and almost no drawback that seems like a
7 >>> wrong reason to avoid LVM.
8 >>>
9 >> Sure, it may help a very tiny percentage of people but I suspect it will
10 >> be tiny. Mostly, for the same reasons I pointed out in another reply on
11 >> this thread.
12 >>
13 > IMO the important question isn't how many it helps, but how many it hurts.
14 >
15 > If it helps a tiny number, and it hurts none, then it is a worthwhile default.
18 That wasn't the point tho. I'm sure a init thingy helps some small
19 number of people but it also hurts some because they have to add one
20 more layer that can fail. I've had init thingys fail on me several
21 times with different distros. If one is not going to use LVM properly,
22 why install it by default and risk a upgrade causing a problem and the
23 lose of data? I use LVM here. I have two 3TBs drives for my /home
24 directory. Before that, I didn't use LVM. Those of us who knows what
25 it is and uses it are not that large a percentage of people.
26
27 The point is, one shouldn't add LVM to a system when the user will never
28 use it or worse yet, even know what it is or what it is for. It just
29 adds one more thing that can cause problems.
30
31 Dale
32