From: luis jure <ljc@××××××××××××.uy>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] more on SSD: swap
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 14:32:01
1 OK, now i have my system successfully installed and running on my new SSD.
2 now i have to decide what to do with the rest of the disk (it's a 256MB
3 samsung).
4
5 the first big question is: what about swap? i found some web pages
6 (perhaps old) stating that it's not wise to put swap on the SSD because of
7 all the read/writes. but apparently from what i read on the recent
8 thread on this list, that shouldn't be much of a concern now.
9
10 i also read somewhere that if you have swap on the SSD and want to avoid
11 unnecessary read/writes, you can reduce swappiness. i have 12GB RAM and i
12 think normally i don't really need swap space on disk, so i thought that
13 could be a good idea.
14
15 so what i'm planning to do now is:
16
17 - put swap on the SSD
18 - reduce swappiness
19 - put /var/tmp/portage on tmpfs
20
21 so, do you guys think that's a good setup?