From: Ashley Dixon <ash@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] docutils needing py2.7, but not wanting py2.7?
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2020 22:43:29
1 On Thu, Jun 04, 2020 at 05:31:29PM -0500, Dale wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 > > Allow portage to add the changes to your config, then run etc-update or
4 > > equivalent. When portage adds package.use changes, it also adds comments
5 > > showing what requires those changes. With that information, you should be
6 > > able to see which package is causing this.
7 >
8 > One of us is reading that wrong.  Given my eyes, maybe it is me.  My new
9 > glasses should be in within the next week or so.  In the first instance,
10 > it wants py2.7 disabled.  So he adds it to the config file to disable
11 > it.  When he runs the command again, it wants to enable py2.7 for the
12 > same package and version.  If I'm reading that right, even if he lets
13 > emerge add the change, it will lead to two problems.  One, there will be
14 > one line enabling py2.7 and another line disabling it.  If I recall
15 > correctly, emerge will take the last one.  Two, he will be back to the
16 > first problem, it wanting py2.7 disabled.  In other words, back where he
17 > started.
18 >
19 > Am I reading that wrong or something??
20
21 Providing he's just adding the line to a package.use file with a text editor,
22 that's just manually doing the work of etc-update. We need the `emerge --info
23 docutils` output to see full information about his Python environment.
27 Ashley Dixon
28 suugaku.co.uk
31 DA96 D18A
32 8A7B B0D2