From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] docutils needing py2.7, but not wanting py2.7?
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2020 22:56:19
1 Ashley Dixon wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jun 04, 2020 at 05:31:29PM -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >> Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 >>> Allow portage to add the changes to your config, then run etc-update or
5 >>> equivalent. When portage adds package.use changes, it also adds comments
6 >>> showing what requires those changes. With that information, you should be
7 >>> able to see which package is causing this.
8 >> One of us is reading that wrong.  Given my eyes, maybe it is me.  My new
9 >> glasses should be in within the next week or so.  In the first instance,
10 >> it wants py2.7 disabled.  So he adds it to the config file to disable
11 >> it.  When he runs the command again, it wants to enable py2.7 for the
12 >> same package and version.  If I'm reading that right, even if he lets
13 >> emerge add the change, it will lead to two problems.  One, there will be
14 >> one line enabling py2.7 and another line disabling it.  If I recall
15 >> correctly, emerge will take the last one.  Two, he will be back to the
16 >> first problem, it wanting py2.7 disabled.  In other words, back where he
17 >> started.
18 >>
19 >> Am I reading that wrong or something??
20 > Providing he's just adding the line to a package.use file with a text editor,
21 > that's just manually doing the work of etc-update. We need the `emerge --info
22 > docutils` output to see full information about his Python environment.
25 True but it asks for one thing, then when it is done, it asks for it to
26 be undone.  I agree something is off somewhere but I'm not sure using
27 etc-update is going to matter.  I do my edits manually as well and
28 rarely use etc-update and friends.  Whether done manually or with the
29 tool, the result is the same.  The comments it will add to those files
30 are listed in the outputs above.  I don't think that is going to shed
31 any new light on the problem either.
32
33 Seeing the output of emerge --info for that package may shed some light
34 on the problem but allowing etc-update to change the config isn't going
35 to help.  It's in one of its circular problems that comes from something
36 else.
37
38 Maybe we will get more info shortly.
39