From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] systemd
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2011 22:33:23
1 On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 5:48 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 14:13:53 +0200
3 > Michael Schreckenbauer <grimlog@×××.de> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Hi,
6 >>
7 >> Am Dienstag, 30. August 2011, 13:56:44 schrieb Alex Schuster:
8 >> > Alan McKinnon writes:
9 >> > > On Tue 23 August 2011 18:17:17 Stroller did opine thusly:
10 >> > > > On 23 August 2011, at 07:27, Joost Roeleveld wrote:
11 >> > [...]
12 >> >
13 >> > > > > And I don't really see the point of D-BUS on a server either.
14 >> > > > > All the services that need to talk to each other already have
15 >> > > > > working communication paths.
16 >> > > >
17 >> > > > Reading that blog entry I found discouraging the idea that dbus
18 >> > > > might be required on my servers in the future, if systemd
19 >> > > > becomes popular with distros.
20 >> > >
21 >> > > What's your objection to dbus? It gives you a standard message
22 >> > > bus, is small, light, consumes minimal resources and provides a
23 >> > > nice standard way to do IPC. Probably easier than reinventing the
24 >> > > wheel with named pipes and other bits over and over.
25 >> >
26 >> > Except for me. dbus-daemon often uses 10-20% of my CPU according to
27 >> > top.
28 >>
29 >> Mine idles most of the time, no CPU is used. My computer is running
30 >> for ~6h now, dbus-daemon used less than 1.5s CPU time.
31 >>
32 >> > And
33 >> > this morning, it was using about 750M of memory. Which is less than
34 >> > kwin's and Kontact's usage, but still.
35 >>
36 >> Strange. Mine uses only ~20MB.
37 >>
38 >> > But I think the problem is on my side, I run KDE4 with only 8G of
39 >> > memory, no wonder I need 1.7G of swap right now.
40 >> > </rant>
41 >>
42 >> I have only 4GB of memory, run kde4, swap is not used at all most of
43 >> the time. There are still ~512MB free with ~1,3GB cached currently.
44 >> I do have programs running :) firefox with some tabs, kdevelop with a
45 >> project (~100.000 LOC), kmail, LibreOffice and 3 konsoles, each with
46 >> some tabs open. I know, I am of no help at all, but I really wonder,
47 >> why your numbers differ so significantly from mine.
48 >
49 > He probably has the same problem as I - something badly wrong in the
50 > roll-your-own config.
51 >
52 > I had a 4G Dell laptop where KDE would start and instantly consume at
53 > least 1.5G just for it's various bits. Akonadi, Nepomuk, Virtuoso were
54 > the usual culprits. Oddly, dbus would often rise to 700M (!). And
55 > forget about actually emerging something - the first sniff that gcc was
56 > running and the machine would thrash like mad and 4G swap would fill up
57 > in no time at all. Less sweap wasn't an option - the battery is dud so
58 > I needed hibernate.
59 >
60 > Sadly (or not, depending on your viewpoint), that machine died on
61 > Monday morning - suspect graphics card. I can't complain - it ran flat
62 > out 24/7/365 and I treated it like one of the servers that I could
63 > carry around. So I can't even troubleshoot what I configured how to
64 > make performance behave like it did.
65 >
66 > Happily, there was a nice pretty lady from Samsung in the office 3
67 > months ago wanting to sell the 900X Macbook Air knock-off into the
68 > company. The IT manager didn't know what to do with the demo she left
69 > behind so I knicked it for myself (sans paperwork of course. Makes it
70 > easier to prolong how long it takes to test properly) and it's running
71 > Ubuntu. Memory issues are a thing of the past and everything behaves
72 > just like it should. Even <gasp> flash.
73
74 That saddens me a little. Of all the friends and coworkers I have, I'm
75 the only one left using Gentoo. All of them switched to Fedora, or
76 Ubuntu, or OpenSuSE.
77
78 My three years old laptop runs up-to-date Gentoo with systemd, plus
79 the GNOME overlay so I can use GNOME 3. Absolutely everything works
80 with the laptop: the Wi-Fi with NetworkManager, the sound with
81 PulseAudio, suspend/resume, all the Fn keys, wathever. Even the
82 ridiculous touchstrip fingerprint sensor, though I don't really use
83 it.
84
85 Even more: every damn GUI program does what it should, so even though
86 I'm able to configure and use everything with the command line, I
87 don't have to, because I can use the pretty graphic programs... if at
88 all, 'cause nowadays everything usually "just works". And the same
89 it's true for all my other machines.
90
91 But I'm also aware that all of this is possible because I have the
92 knowledge (and the patience) to detect and fix any problem that I may
93 encounter when updating my machine. I don't need a robust QA from my
94 distribution, but I'm the exception. And this is the kind of QA
95 problems that make people to replace Gentoo for Ubuntu, or Fedora, or
96 whatever.
97
98 I whish I knew how to solve this so everybody could use Gentoo, but I
99 don't. I don't think I will ever use any other distro (although I've
100 toyed with the idea of trying exherbo), but I cannot in good
101 conscience recommend it to "normal" users, unless I'm willing to be
102 their tech support forever.
103
104 I love Gentoo, been using it since 2004, but I'm the first one to
105 admit it's not for everyone.
106
107 And that saddens me a little.
108 --