From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] systemd
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2011 21:49:59
1 On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 14:13:53 +0200
2 Michael Schreckenbauer <grimlog@×××.de> wrote:
3
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > Am Dienstag, 30. August 2011, 13:56:44 schrieb Alex Schuster:
7 > > Alan McKinnon writes:
8 > > > On Tue 23 August 2011 18:17:17 Stroller did opine thusly:
9 > > > > On 23 August 2011, at 07:27, Joost Roeleveld wrote:
10 > > [...]
11 > >
12 > > > > > And I don't really see the point of D-BUS on a server either.
13 > > > > > All the services that need to talk to each other already have
14 > > > > > working communication paths.
15 > > > >
16 > > > > Reading that blog entry I found discouraging the idea that dbus
17 > > > > might be required on my servers in the future, if systemd
18 > > > > becomes popular with distros.
19 > > >
20 > > > What's your objection to dbus? It gives you a standard message
21 > > > bus, is small, light, consumes minimal resources and provides a
22 > > > nice standard way to do IPC. Probably easier than reinventing the
23 > > > wheel with named pipes and other bits over and over.
24 > >
25 > > Except for me. dbus-daemon often uses 10-20% of my CPU according to
26 > > top.
27 >
28 > Mine idles most of the time, no CPU is used. My computer is running
29 > for ~6h now, dbus-daemon used less than 1.5s CPU time.
30 >
31 > > And
32 > > this morning, it was using about 750M of memory. Which is less than
33 > > kwin's and Kontact's usage, but still.
34 >
35 > Strange. Mine uses only ~20MB.
36 >
37 > > But I think the problem is on my side, I run KDE4 with only 8G of
38 > > memory, no wonder I need 1.7G of swap right now.
39 > > </rant>
40 >
41 > I have only 4GB of memory, run kde4, swap is not used at all most of
42 > the time. There are still ~512MB free with ~1,3GB cached currently.
43 > I do have programs running :) firefox with some tabs, kdevelop with a
44 > project (~100.000 LOC), kmail, LibreOffice and 3 konsoles, each with
45 > some tabs open. I know, I am of no help at all, but I really wonder,
46 > why your numbers differ so significantly from mine.
47
48 He probably has the same problem as I - something badly wrong in the
49 roll-your-own config.
50
51 I had a 4G Dell laptop where KDE would start and instantly consume at
52 least 1.5G just for it's various bits. Akonadi, Nepomuk, Virtuoso were
53 the usual culprits. Oddly, dbus would often rise to 700M (!). And
54 forget about actually emerging something - the first sniff that gcc was
55 running and the machine would thrash like mad and 4G swap would fill up
56 in no time at all. Less sweap wasn't an option - the battery is dud so
57 I needed hibernate.
58
59 Sadly (or not, depending on your viewpoint), that machine died on
60 Monday morning - suspect graphics card. I can't complain - it ran flat
61 out 24/7/365 and I treated it like one of the servers that I could
62 carry around. So I can't even troubleshoot what I configured how to
63 make performance behave like it did.
64
65 Happily, there was a nice pretty lady from Samsung in the office 3
66 months ago wanting to sell the 900X Macbook Air knock-off into the
67 company. The IT manager didn't know what to do with the demo she left
68 behind so I knicked it for myself (sans paperwork of course. Makes it
69 easier to prolong how long it takes to test properly) and it's running
70 Ubuntu. Memory issues are a thing of the past and everything behaves
71 just like it should. Even <gasp> flash.
75 Alan McKinnnon
76 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com