From: Michael Schreckenbauer <grimlog@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] systemd
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 12:15:15
1 Hi,
2
3 Am Dienstag, 30. August 2011, 13:56:44 schrieb Alex Schuster:
4 > Alan McKinnon writes:
5 > > On Tue 23 August 2011 18:17:17 Stroller did opine thusly:
6 > > > On 23 August 2011, at 07:27, Joost Roeleveld wrote:
7 > [...]
8 >
9 > > > > And I don't really see the point of D-BUS on a server either.
10 > > > > All the services that need to talk to each other already have
11 > > > > working communication paths.
12 > > >
13 > > > Reading that blog entry I found discouraging the idea that dbus
14 > > > might be required on my servers in the future, if systemd becomes
15 > > > popular with distros.
16 > >
17 > > What's your objection to dbus? It gives you a standard message bus, is
18 > > small, light, consumes minimal resources and provides a nice standard
19 > > way to do IPC. Probably easier than reinventing the wheel with named
20 > > pipes and other bits over and over.
21 >
22 > Except for me. dbus-daemon often uses 10-20% of my CPU according to top.
23
24 Mine idles most of the time, no CPU is used. My computer is running for ~6h
25 now, dbus-daemon used less than 1.5s CPU time.
26
27 > And
28 > this morning, it was using about 750M of memory. Which is less than kwin's
29 > and Kontact's usage, but still.
30
31 Strange. Mine uses only ~20MB.
32
33 > But I think the problem is on my side, I run KDE4 with only 8G of memory, no
34 > wonder I need 1.7G of swap right now.
35 > </rant>
36
37 I have only 4GB of memory, run kde4, swap is not used at all most of the time.
38 There are still ~512MB free with ~1,3GB cached currently.
39 I do have programs running :) firefox with some tabs, kdevelop with a project
40 (~100.000 LOC), kmail, LibreOffice and 3 konsoles, each with some tabs open.
41 I know, I am of no help at all, but I really wonder, why your numbers differ so
42 significantly from mine.
43
44 > Wonko
45