From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] systemd
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 23:04:09
1 Michael Schreckenbauer writes:
2
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > Am Dienstag, 30. August 2011, 13:56:44 schrieb Alex Schuster:
6 > > Alan McKinnon writes:
7 [...]
8 > > > What's your objection to dbus? It gives you a standard message
9 > > > bus, is small, light, consumes minimal resources and provides a
10 > > > nice standard way to do IPC. Probably easier than reinventing the
11 > > > wheel with named pipes and other bits over and over.
12 > >
13 > > Except for me. dbus-daemon often uses 10-20% of my CPU according to
14 > > top.
15 > Mine idles most of the time, no CPU is used. My computer is running for
16 > ~6h now, dbus-daemon used less than 1.5s CPU time.
17
18 After a relogin, this is also true here at this moment, dbus-daemon uses
19 about 4% of one of my two cores. After 26 days of uptime, its total CPU time
20 is 1380 minutes, Followed by udisks-daemon with 990 minutes, and then mysqld
21 with 25 minutes.
22
23 > > And
24 > > this morning, it was using about 750M of memory. Which is less than
25 > > kwin's and Kontact's usage, but still.
26 >
27 > Strange. Mine uses only ~20MB.
28
29 Right now I have three dbus-daemon processes (one owned by messagebus, two
30 owned by my user), with a total of 4.5M only. The excessive usage of 750M (I
31 noticed this for the first time) probably was a memory leak. Like with KWin,
32 where it always happens after some days of being logged in.
33
34 > > But I think the problem is on my side, I run KDE4 with only 8G of
35 > > memory, no wonder I need 1.7G of swap right now.
36 > > </rant>
37 >
38 > I have only 4GB of memory, run kde4, swap is not used at all most of the
39 > time. There are still ~512MB free with ~1,3GB cached currently.
40 > I do have programs running :) firefox with some tabs, kdevelop with a
41 > project (~100.000 LOC), kmail, LibreOffice and 3 konsoles, each with some
42 > tabs open. I know, I am of no help at all, but I really wonder, why your
43 > numbers differ so significantly from mine.
44
45 I run some more applications. 9 Konsole tabs, two Dolphins, a Konqueror as
46 file manager, Amarok, TV-Browser, Kontact, Chromium with 15 tabs, KMyMoney.
47 That's what comes up after login, after a while of being logged in more
48 stuff is running. Yesterday I had a Windows running in vmplayer, that may
49 use 512M.
50 Right now, 4.7G of memory is needed (free -m, -/+ buffers/cache entry).
51
52 [Later]
53
54 Whoops, forgot to actually send this mail. Ten hours later I have another
55 dbus-daemon process, owned by root, but memory their usage is the same.
56 5250M of RAM are needed now altogether.
57
58 Wonko