From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] systemd
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 23:21:57
1 On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 7:01 PM, Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Michael Schreckenbauer writes:
3 >
4 >> Hi,
5 >>
6 >> Am Dienstag, 30. August 2011, 13:56:44 schrieb Alex Schuster:
7 >> > Alan McKinnon writes:
8 > [...]
9 >> > > What's your objection to dbus? It gives you a standard message
10 >> > > bus, is small, light, consumes minimal resources and provides a
11 >> > > nice standard way to do IPC. Probably easier than reinventing the
12 >> > > wheel with named pipes and other bits over and over.
13 >> >
14 >> > Except for me. dbus-daemon often uses 10-20% of my CPU according to
15 >> > top.
16 >> Mine idles most of the time, no CPU is used. My computer is running for
17 >> ~6h now, dbus-daemon used less than 1.5s CPU time.
18 >
19 > After a relogin, this is also true here at this moment, dbus-daemon uses
20 > about 4% of one of my two cores. After 26 days of uptime, its total CPU time
21 > is 1380 minutes, Followed by udisks-daemon with 990 minutes, and then mysqld
22 > with 25 minutes.
23 >
24 >> > And
25 >> > this morning, it was using about 750M of memory. Which is less than
26 >> > kwin's and Kontact's usage, but still.
27 >>
28 >> Strange. Mine uses only ~20MB.
29 >
30 > Right now I have three dbus-daemon processes (one owned by messagebus, two
31 > owned by my user), with a total of 4.5M only. The excessive usage of 750M (I
32 > noticed this for the first time) probably was a memory leak. Like with KWin,
33 > where it always happens after some days of being logged in.
34 >
35 >> > But I think the problem is on my side, I run KDE4 with only 8G of
36 >> > memory, no wonder I need 1.7G of swap right now.
37 >> > </rant>
38 >>
39 >> I have only 4GB of memory, run kde4, swap is not used at all most of the
40 >> time. There are still ~512MB free with ~1,3GB cached currently.
41 >> I do have programs running :) firefox with some tabs, kdevelop with a
42 >> project (~100.000 LOC), kmail, LibreOffice and 3 konsoles, each with some
43 >> tabs open. I know, I am of no help at all, but I really wonder, why your
44 >> numbers differ so significantly from mine.
45 >
46 > I run some more applications. 9 Konsole tabs, two Dolphins, a Konqueror as
47 > file manager, Amarok, TV-Browser, Kontact, Chromium with 15 tabs, KMyMoney.
48 > That's what comes up after login, after a while of being logged in more
49 > stuff is running. Yesterday I had a Windows running in vmplayer, that may
50 > use 512M.
51 > Right now, 4.7G of memory is needed (free -m, -/+ buffers/cache entry).
52 >
53 > [Later]
54 >
55 > Whoops, forgot to actually send this mail. Ten hours later I have another
56 > dbus-daemon process, owned by root, but memory their usage is the same.
57 > 5250M of RAM are needed now altogether.
58
59 Very, very weird. You all seem to have some weird issues with
60 dbus-daemon that I don't have.
61
62 (times retrieved with ps axS, memory consumption retrieved with htop)
63
64 On my 77-day uptime server runing Debian 5, dbus's total time is 0:00.
65 (That's with ps axS) virtual memory of 21M, resident of 900K.
66
67 On my gentoo desktop, 8 days' uptime, I show two dbus-daemon
68 processes, both with 0:00. Both with virtual of 19M. One with resident
69 of 984K, one with resident of 808K.
70
71 On my router, Debian 6, with 4 days' uptime, ps axS shows 0:00 for
72 consumed time. 23M virtual, 968K resident.
76 :wq