From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] systemd
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 11:58:04
1 Alan McKinnon writes:
2
3 > On Tue 23 August 2011 18:17:17 Stroller did opine thusly:
4 > > On 23 August 2011, at 07:27, Joost Roeleveld wrote:
5 [...]
6 > > > And I don't really see the point of D-BUS on a server either.
7 > > > All the services that need to talk to each other already have
8 > > > working communication paths.
9 > >
10 > > Reading that blog entry I found discouraging the idea that dbus
11 > > might be required on my servers in the future, if systemd becomes
12 > > popular with distros.
13 >
14 > What's your objection to dbus? It gives you a standard message bus, is
15 > small, light, consumes minimal resources and provides a nice standard
16 > way to do IPC. Probably easier than reinventing the wheel with named
17 > pipes and other bits over and over.
18
19 Except for me. dbus-daemon often uses 10-20% of my CPU according to top. And
20 this morning, it was using about 750M of memory. Which is less than kwin's
21 and Kontact's usage, but still.
22 But I think the problem is on my side, I run KDE4 with only 8G of memory, no
23 wonder I need 1.7G of swap right now.
24 </rant>
25
26 Wonko