From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] systemd
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 19:00:07
1 On Tue 23 August 2011 18:17:17 Stroller did opine thusly:
2 > On 23 August 2011, at 07:27, Joost Roeleveld wrote:
3 > > ...
4 > >
5 > >> * found this blog-entry against systemd:
6 > >>
7 > >> http://monolight.cc/2011/05/the-systemd-fallacy/
8 > >>
9 > >> I agree, it might be more useful on desktops ... so far I am
10 > >> still exploring and learning to get to the point to make a
11 > >> decision where and if to use.
12 > >
13 > > I think it is more useful on desktops and laptops, which get
14 > > rebooted regularly. On a server that tends to run for months
15 > > without a reboot, a fast init-system is important.
16 > >
17 > > And I don't really see the point of D-BUS on a server either.
18 > > All the services that need to talk to each other already have
19 > > working communication paths.
20 > Reading that blog entry I found discouraging the idea that dbus
21 > might be required on my servers in the future, if systemd becomes
22 > popular with distros.
23
24 What's your objection to dbus? It gives you a standard message bus, is
25 small, light, consumes minimal resources and provides a nice standard
26 way to do IPC. Probably easier than reinventing the wheel with named
27 pipes and other bits over and over.
28
29 Now if it had similarities to say hal, I would instantly understand.
30 But dbus is good and useful in all the ways that hal isn't.
33 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com