From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] slot conflict for the same package: how to add a USE flag?
Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 21:24:59
1 First, stop top-posting, and fix your quoting. This is a mess to try
2 to reply to, and your update woes are bad enough to stare at...
3
4 On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 4:51 PM n952162 <n952162@×××.de> wrote:
7 > Well, you're talking about openssl here. I'm trying to go a step at a time and looking at the first conflict in that first log file: zlib.
8
9 You'll have to give me the full command line and output of that if you
10 want me to comment.
11
12 This seems to be a bit of a trend in your emails. You almost always
13 ask a question without including the command line and output. When
14 you do include output you often trim it, which makes it much harder to
15 tell what is going on.
18 > Isn't the source and build instructions to everything on my system here, too?
19 > I mean, if it had to rebuild all the users of zlib, but wasn't being requested to update them.
20
21 No. The build instructions are in the repository. When you updated
22 it, you discarded the ebuilds for any no-longer-supported package
23 versions.
26 > Something that might also help is running:
27 > emerge -auDv --changed-use --keep-going --with-bdeps=y --changed-deps
28 > --backtrack=100 @system
31 > Attached ...
34 1. You should update all the files in /etc and then run that command again.
35 2. Did portage not actually let you proceed with the update? As far
36 as I can tell none of those errors are fatal.
37
38 Assuming that nothing new comes up after you update all your config
39 files in /etc I would proceed with this update. It certainly won't
40 fix all your problems (which is why you have a mountain of messages
41 after the list of packages that will be updated), but it will get a
42 ton of system packages and your toolchain up-to-date, and will
43 probably make it considerably easier to sort through the rest of the
44 updates.
45
46 The @system set is largely independent of anything else, so getting it
47 updated makes everything else easier.
50 > Actually, I installed this system just a month or two ago, but I used
51 > a CD I burned of the minimal-install-disk that is perhaps a year
52 > old. I wanted to have all my systems have the same basis, until I
53 > proficient enough to do a stage-1 installation ... I guess this is the
54 > way I'm learning how to get there :-(
55
56 Two things:
57
58 First, that seems a bit odd, since if you did an emerge --sync before
59 doing the install you should have been installing new packages
60 regardless of what was on the install disk, especially if you
61 downloaded a current stage3. I guess if you used an old stage3 and
62 didn't update anything then you'd be in that state, but you wouldn't
63 have anything not in @system that way.
64
65 Second, there is no benefit to doing a stage1 install really except in
66 some unusual bootstrapping situations like building install media.
67 You get an identical system if you do a stage1 install, or if you do a
68 stage3 install and at the end do an emerge -e @world. The difference
69 is that you can actually use your system while the latter rebuilds, vs
70 a stage1 where it takes ages before you can just about anything with
71 it.
74 Rich