From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: OT Good DNS registrar?
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 17:17:05
1 Preston Hagar <prestonh <at> gmail.com> writes:
2
3 > Another option is http://freedns.afraid.orgI have used them for several years
4 and had no problems. They are free.Preston
5
6 >> James <wireless <at> tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
7 >> Hello,I'm looking for a good DNS registrar...
8
9 Hello Preston et al,
10
11 Your chosen service (afraid.org) combined with the others:
12 (zoneedit && everydns) look interesting.
13
14 However, what I'm looking for is a registrar like:
15
16 http://www.goaustraliadomains.com/
17
18 that is inexpensive (8.95/yr) and will point (100%) authority
19 to my primary name server, at my static IP address.
20 What I would like is a server that provides
21 secondary service(resolution) while allowing me to run
22 the primary server on my single static IP. Often folks exchange
23 secondary services, agreeing to security semantics that
24 preclude nefarious activities such as spamming, dos, etc etc.
25
26 I understand in this day and age, folks have security concerns
27 with that sort of arrangement(unless they agree on the security
28 semantics) but it is preferred and allows me to run my own dns
29 config files and maintain authority. Merely pointing resource
30 records and such in a config file on a server that somebody else
31 controls, is not really what I'm looking for. Maybe I'm being too
32 idealistic here, but, this goes to the very heart of what I
33 consider 'community'; community is a fundamental tenant of the
34 Internet, methinks.
35
36 Surely this is not so difficult to find other like minded technical
37 folks that share/provide secondary dns resolution for others? Surely
38 we there is a wiki or one can be developed where folks follow to provide
39 secure secondary dns services for one another? If an unfair 'bandwidth'
40 arrangement become apparent, I believe we have the necessary (QOS)
41 technology (iptables/netfilter) to limit the bandwidth consumed by a
42 secondary name service one provides for another. If the more technical
43 folks to not share such solutions with the youth of the internet,
44 folks will grow up thinking that haveing your own dns means
45 somebody else points resource records to your server, and precludes
46 the masses from experiencing the power of running their own
47 dns services. Sure the root authority is still needed, but
48 robust, multifaceted dns services are a quinessential tool
49 for the future of the internet.
50
51 It's been a few years since I've set up primary and secondary
52 DNS services, but, surely the rfc's (1033 -1035) are still followed?
53 Most of the newer(proposed) rfc's related to DNS do not look appealing
54 to me; but, I have not studied them in depth to certify that sort of
55 conclusion. I wonder why the various 'dns services' offered either
56 for free or for a fee, do not mention which rfc's they are in
57 compliance with?
58
59 Are there any readers of this list that still provide their own
60 primary/secondary dns services? Or offer secondary services to
61 others for a fee or free?
62
63 I'm either a dinosaur or I have missed something fundamental on
64 the evolution of DNS?
67 confused,
68
69 James