From: Daniel Barkalow <barkalow@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Question about /etc/conf.d/net entry
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2007 23:42:58
1 On Sat, 3 Feb 2007, Shawn Singh wrote:
2
3 > The cable checked out. I used it to hookup my work laptop with the other
4 > laptop I was using as my client, and was able to ping each host. The fact
5 > that I had no link made me curious ... and I realized it made user error ...
6 > I was "SURE" that I verified the NIC I was plugging into was eth1, as I've
7 > got 3 NICs in the machine ... the one with no link is really eth2 ... not
8 > eth1 ... I plugged into the correct interface, and (perhaps) needless to
9 > say, my client is now seeing the gateway and the gateway sees the client.
10
11 I'd suggest using udev rules (create or add to
12 /etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules) like this:
13
14 ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="net", SYSFS{address}=="00:10:b5:0e:d6:e9", NAME="extra"
15
16 (note, one = in the last one, two in all of the others) to give intuitive
17 names to all of the network cards. Then you replace "eth1" everywhere with
18 "extra". This makes it easier to read, so you don't forget which is which,
19 and it means that if the kernel device enumeration changes, your rules
20 don't break, and if you need to repurpose cards or something, you can just
21 change the MAC addresses and the rules will be right.
22
23 It's a lot easier to keep "left", "middle", and "right" (or "uplink",
24 "downlink", and "extra") straight than "eth0", "eth2", and "eth1".
25
26 -Daniel
27 *This .sig left intentionally blank*
28 --