From: Miroslav Rovis <miro.rovis@××××××××××××××.hr>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Reading the (SSL) traffic with Pale Moon
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2016 15:06:52
1 Very useful! Thanks!
2
3 But only quick notes now.
4
5 On 161220-03:00-0500, Walter Dnes wrote:
6 > On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 01:25:19PM +0100, Miroslav Rovis wrote
7 >
8 > > And I'm very curious to learn how to install in Air-Gapped, from git,
9 > > through intermediary action, that is acceptable, but in a verifiable
10 > > way, as I asked in my other reply email to this message.
11 >
12 > The Pale Moon project is located at...
13 > https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/Pale-Moon
14
15 I see.
16
17 And one thing appears to be missing for me. *IIUC* <-- pls. note.
18
19 The tags are not verified on the Pale Moon repo above! Do you see that
20 they are, if you open:
21 https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/Pale-Moon/tags
22 ?
23 I don't!
24
25 *IIUC* <-- pls. note.
26
27 Do you see that my tags are verified, e.g. if you open:
28
29 https://github.com/miroR/tshark-hosts-conv/tags
30 and by clicking on "Verified" link, you should see:
31
32 This tag was signed with a verified signature.
33 @miroR
34 miroR
35 Miroslav Rovis
36 GPG key ID: EA9884884FBAF0AE Learn about signing commits
37
38 Or am I again missing something?
39
40 And if the tags are not verified, I may do the below, but I still don't
41 feel right.
42
43 I'm used to webrsync-gpg which is obsolete in comparison to git, but
44 it's so safe, because all the the portage, including distfiles, all is
45 PGP verifiable!
46
47 I leave your instuctions below, since this is really useful, and it's a
48 possible route for me to take... But...
49
50 > The current release branch is "27.0_Relbranch". I'm not a programmer,
51 > and I don't push commits back to the project. So I don't need the full
52 > depth and history. The following command grabs the latest 27.0.x source
53 > and downloads it to a directory pmsrc/ and only downloads what is needed
54 > to do a build.
55 >
56 > git clone -b 27.0_RelBranch --depth 1 https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/Pale-Moon.git pmsrc
57 >
58 > To save typing, I made a script "getcode". I merely have to type
59 > ./getcode 27.0
60 >
61 > The script consists of 2 lines...
62 >
63 > #!/bin/bash
64 > git clone -b "${1}_RelBranch" --depth 1 https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/Pale-Moon.git pmsrc
65 >
66 > Note that this picks up the latest git tag. You can force a specific
67 > tag (e.g. 27.0.0 or 27.0.1 or 27.0.2) if you use the appropriate git
68 > command. Once the the pmsrc/ subdirectory is populated, you can...
69 >
70 > cp -r pmsrc/ <usb_stick>/pmsrc/
71 >
72 > walk over to the air-gapped machine and...
73 >
74 > cp -r <usb_stick>/pmsrc/ pmsrc/
75 >
76 > and then do a "-march=native" build on the air-gapped machine.
77 >
78 > --
79 > Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
80 > I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications
83 ... But also, the time on my hands is an issue. If the Gentoo overlay
84 prooves easier and quicker, I may go that other way...
85
86 And which way I go may also depend on which one I get to verifiably install...
87
88 Yes, verifiability is my sine qua non!
89
90 I have to say, I had no issues with installing from Gentoo palemoon
91 overlay, and I may open an issue about verification there, or in main
92 Pale Moon repo...
93
94 E.g. there are never even any tags at all on:
95
96 https://github.com/deuiore/palemoon-overlay/tags
97
98 If I understand correctly. <-- pls. note.
99
100 All this in the wake of my asking Gentoo devs about the verifiability in
101 git:
102
103 Is it safe to switch from webrsync to the git repo now?
104 http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/gentoo/dev/320922
105
106 Really thanks a lot.
107 --