From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: emerge firefox-52.4.0 compile failure
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2017 10:11:53
1 Am Dienstag, 10. Oktober 2017, 11:19:02 CEST schrieb Peter Humphrey:
2 > On Monday, 9 October 2017 20:20:53 BST Grant Edwards wrote:
3 > > I don't really see how you can repeatedly release new versions of
4 > > something without changing the version number, but maybe that's just me...
5 >
6 > No, it isn't just you. What you describe is a classic example of a developer
7 > trying to hide his mistakes - strictly unprofessional. It would not have
8 > been allowed anywhere I've worked.
9 >
10 > I know that volunteers are hard to find, but even so ...
11 >
12 > Good work spotting the trail, by the way.
13
14 It's actually simpler than that: ebuilds do not need a revision bump when
15 fixing compilation errors, since the ebuild remains uninstalled [0]. And if
16 you /were/ able to build it, you won't profit from a revbump, either (in fact,
17 people tend to loudly complain about unnecessary rebuilds). So, no, it most
18 likely is /not/ someone trying to hide their mistakes. Never mind that the
19 changes are easy to find in Gentoo's version control history [1], which
20 references bug #633640, which in turn reveals that they were trying to fix a
21 build error, but accidentally caused another in the process. So, yeah, so
22 much hiding going on here!
23
24 [0] https://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/ebuild-revisions/
25 [1] https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/log/?qt=grep&q=firefox
28 Marc Joliet
29 --
30 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
31 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup