From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Purged gnome, lost X. :-(
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 00:16:37
1 On 12/01/14 05:51, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sat, 11 Jan 2014 22:02:11 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >
4 >> I recommend you do these steps in this order
5 >>
6 >> 1. emerge -at --depclean
7 >> Inspect the list carefully, 289 packages is a lot. Take your time;
8 >> quickpkg anything you aren't sure of. When you are happy the list only
9 >> contains stuff you want rid of, let it do it's thing
10 >>
11 >> 2. emerge -avuND world
12 >> Let portage figure out what it needs to add and rebuild
13 >>
14 >> 3. emerge -av1 @preserved-rebuild
15 >> Fix up any inconsistencies left from emerging world
16 >
17 > I would then repeat the three steps until none of them want to do
18 > anything.
22 I have had a few problems with more complex systems of late. Definitely
23 add in "revdep-rebuild -i" and "python-updater" even if the error
24 messages don't indicate they are not needed. "perl-cleaner --all" was
25 needed as well a week or two ago.
26
27 I also had a couple of systems die on the libpng update with weird
28 errors as it was trying to use old libs and not the newer ones ...
29
30 BillK