From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT encfs] When encfs gets hungup
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 10:11:52
1 On Tuesday 12 July 2011 04:27:18 Volker Armin Hemmann did opine
2 thusly:
3 > On Monday 11 July 2011 23:43:06 Peter Humphrey wrote:
4 > > On Monday 11 July 2011 17:26:36 Sebastian Beßler wrote:
5 > > > Am Mo 11 Jul 2011 17:18:16 CEST, Peter Humphrey schrieb:
6 > > > > I doubt I shall ever accept 'reoccur', any more than I
7 > > > > accept
8 > > > > 'transportation'.
9 > > >
10 > > > It's way OT but what is wrong with 'transportation'.
11 > > > If it is wrong, how would it be right?
12 > >
13 > > It isn't wrong, it's just silly. Americans love to add '-ation'
14 > > to everything. Just consider 'motivation', for example. It
15 > > nearly always means 'motive'. Ditto 'medication', which is
16 > > nearly always 'medicine'. I could go on all night, but this is
17 > > much too far off topic already. (I didn't mean to launch a
18 > > troll - I just get wound up about poor language - sorry. And
19 > > while I'm at it, an adverb should not precede the verb of the
20 > > sentence. This is not German. And in English we do not put a
21 > > comma between the verb and the predicate. Anyone who wants to
22 > > discuss things like this seriously is welcome to contact me
23 > > off-list.)
24 > >
25 > > > I'm not a native speaker so I might be blind to see the
26 > > > error.
27 > >
28 > > I can see that, but i'm impressed by your grasp of your second
29 > > language, which is incomparably superior to my grasp of your
30 > > first.
31 >
32 > well, your language is broken beyond help anyway (as everybody who
33 > was forced to learn this clusterfuck* realized in the second or
34 > third week) so why get your panties in a knot? It can hardly get
35 > worse. Maybe better.
36
37 Funny thing about English (and Perl, and Unix):
38
39 The thing that made it a real clusterfuck is the only thing that made
40 it successful. Now that I think about it, that holds true for Intel
41 too.
46 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com