From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Copying root to SSD in one go...a good idea...or?
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2020 06:07:26
1 On 6/4/20 1:12 am, tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > currentlu I am preparing a new Gentoo Linux by compiling all
5 > the application I had on my old system.
6 >
7 > Due to delivery problems (corona) my SSD was delivered today
8 > (or yesterday...it depends...;) .
9 >
10 > When the whole compilation has finished and the system boots it
11 > needs to be transfered to the SSD.
12 >
13 > The SSD has a heat spreader...so it gets hot, when used.
14 >
15 > Is it wise to copy the whole root system to the SSD in one go
16 > in respect to a not so healthy heat increase?
17 >
18 > And if not...how can I copy the root system in portions
19 > to the SSD and do not miss anything?
20 >
21 > Are there SDD-friendly and SSD-unfriendlu methods of copying
22 > greater chunks of data to a SSD (rsync, tar-pipe, cp....)?
23 > What is recommended here?
24 >
25 > Thanks a lot for any help for a SSD newbie in advance!
26 >
27 > Cheers! And stay heathy!
28 > Meino
31 Use rsync with the bwlimit option to slow down the overall data rate - monitor the temp with smart and slow it up if needed (I actually don't think you will have a problem.)
32
33 BillK